In India Marriage is a relationship
In India Marriage is a relationship formed between an Adult Male and Female with a primary purpose of sexual relations where reproduction of children is expected to happen and with an intention of permanance.
The Couple is expected to share a common living space and share all their resources with common bonds and goals in life.
In Marriage they take Marital Vows, and commit themselves -
- To Provide for each other
- To Grow together in strength- physical, mental and spiritual
- To Preserve Wealth and Prosperity
- To Serve each other with Happiness and Harmony
- To Care for the health and growth of Children
- To Be Together Forever in all Responsibilities
- For Everlasting Friendship and true Companionship
Even where religions differ, the basic concept of commitment remains the same.
The relationship thus starts with mutual commitment, trust and respect - in front of all their loved and respected ones- in a religiously sacred ceremony.
This relationship is formed to create a supportive and nurturing unit, which will provide love, care and security to the couple, their children and the elderly dependants.
PREDICTORS OF MARRIAGE SUCCESS
- CAREFUL SELECTION OF MATES
- AWARENESS ABOUT SOCIAL AND PERSONAL VALUES AND NORMS
- GOOD COMMUNICATION SKILLS
- EMOTIONAL MATURITY
- ABILITY TO GIVE AND RECEIVE LOVE IN DEMONSTRABLE (OBVIOUS ) WAYS
- ABILITY TO FORGIVE AND COMPLIMENT
- ABILITY FOR EMPATHY
- EMPHASIS ON THE COMMON GOOD OF FAMILY RATHER THAN ON SELFISH INTERESTS AND RIGHTS
- CONFLICT RESOLUTION OR MANAGEMENT AND COPING SKILLS ETC.
Marriage sows the seeds for the growth of the family , where the couple is expected to perform their marital responsibilities which include :-
- The sexual function
- Reproductive function
- Affectional function
- Economic function
- Protective function
- Socialization function
- Status function